Water is Everywhere! Are you prepared in case of a flood?
With any situation that involves water damage big or small it can be devastating to say the least. The good news is that with a flood plan and basic safety precautions you can keep yourself safe.
Make a Flood Plan
- Know your flood risk.
- Make a flood emergency plan.
- Build or restock youremergency preparedness kit, including a flashlight, batteries, cash, and first aid supplies.
- Consider buying flood insurance.
- Familiarize yourself with local emergency plans. Know where to go and how to get there should you need to get to higher ground, the highest level of a building, or to evacuate.
- Stay tuned to your phone alerts, TV, or radio for weather updates, emergency instructions, or evacuation orders.
Basic Safety Tips
- Avoid walking or driving through flood waters.
- Just 6 inches of moving water can knock you down, and 1 foot of water can sweep your vehicle away.
- If there is a chance of flash flooding, move immediately to higher ground. Flash floods are the #1 cause of weather-related deaths in the US.
- If floodwaters rise around your car but the water is not moving, abandon the car and move to higher ground. Do not leave the car and enter moving water.
- Avoid camping or parking along streams, rivers, and creeks during heavy rainfall. These areas can flood quickly and with little warning.
After the Flood
- Return home only when authorities say it is safe.
- Be aware of areas where floodwaters have receded and watch out for debris. Floodwaters often erode roads and walkways.
- Do not attempt to drive through areas that are still flooded.
- Avoid standing water as it may be electrically charged from underground or downed power lines.
- Photograph damage to your property for insurance purposes.
These easy steps to take could save your life and other things that are important to you.
When a water issue becomes too much for you to handle let our team help with your restoration services due to Water Damage Call SERVPRO of Big Rapids/Fremont (231)796-2342 services available 24/7